An Introduction

The purpose of this blog is to document my time in Rwanda first as a Worldteach volunteer, and now as a college lecturer.
Here in Rwanda, cattle are very important. They are a sign of wealth and prosperity. Accordingly, milk is much appreciated. Two friends might share a glass of milk together like some might share a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. So, while I wish you all could come with me to taste Rwandan milk, this will be my way of sitting and sharing a glass with you.

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Placement!

After much anticipation, my placement has been finalized! I will be teaching physics and advanced math classes in Rwaza, Rwanda (try saying that 5 times fast,) which is outside of Musanze (aka Ruhengeri). I have been told that it is a really beautiful town, right in the mountains. It is close to Volcanos National Park which is where the famous mountain gorillas reside (this is the setting of the film "Gorillas in the Mist").

The school is an all girls Catholic school with about 570 students at the secondary level. It is said to be top-performing (not quite sure what that means). No other WorldTeach volunteers have been placed with me, however there is a Peace Corp volunteer working there, and several WT volunteers in nearby Musanze. I'll have my own 3 room house...unfortunately I may not have my own bathroom.

2 days left of "devil-may-care" on the electricity, internet, and hot water front.
Merry Christmas everyone! Peace on Earth and goodwill to Men!

No comments:

Post a Comment