Well, I have a couple posts in the works, but I just wanted to give a quick update. We just started the third term, it will be 10 weeks long, two of those being exam weeks. I am hoping to finish up the national curriculum in the next couple of weeks so that I can use the last few to fill in some holes and do some fun math lessons...Fibonacci, data analysis, logic puzzles...anyone have any good critical thinking lesson ideas?
There is construction going on at the school, they are redoing the kitchen I had a chat with the overseer in French the other day and determined that it has something to do with making it more efficient. The only construction term I understood was "combustion." I gather it has something to do with the huge boilers they use to cook the rice and beans in.
They are also making a new science lab. This one actually has lab tables for the students to stand at. The previous one has only one table so the students have to stand and watch the teacher do the experiment. I'm hoping they'll get more lab equipement to go along with the new room. Right now I'm teaching a physics unit on heat and am bringing in a thermos of hot water, coffee mugs and my digital body temp. thermometer to do experiments with! Also among my teaching aids are a winch made from a pringles can, string, and a compass, and a triangular prism made from a taped up Toblerone box.
In the works is an English club. Also, I'm still collecting graphing calculators if anyone has any they aren't using and want to send my way. I've gotten a few and hopefully in the next few weeks I can give a few lessons to the teachers on how to use them and integrate them into their teaching.
Sorry this isn't a very exciting post, but coming soon: The non-existant Rwandan food culture!!!
Also, here's a little something: I was getting another lesson from the students on Kinyarwanda the other day. Here's what I learned:
umusatsi=hair, umusasi=crazy, umutetsi=cook, umusizi=poet...try saying crazy haired cook five times fast in Kinyarwanda!
An Introduction
The purpose of this blog is to document my time in Rwanda first as a Worldteach volunteer, and now as a college lecturer.
Here in Rwanda, cattle are very important. They are a sign of wealth and prosperity. Accordingly, milk is much appreciated. Two friends might share a glass of milk together like some might share a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. So, while I wish you all could come with me to taste Rwandan milk, this will be my way of sitting and sharing a glass with you.
Here in Rwanda, cattle are very important. They are a sign of wealth and prosperity. Accordingly, milk is much appreciated. Two friends might share a glass of milk together like some might share a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. So, while I wish you all could come with me to taste Rwandan milk, this will be my way of sitting and sharing a glass with you.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment