An Introduction

The purpose of this blog is to document my time in Rwanda first as a Worldteach volunteer, and now as a college lecturer.
Here in Rwanda, cattle are very important. They are a sign of wealth and prosperity. Accordingly, milk is much appreciated. Two friends might share a glass of milk together like some might share a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. So, while I wish you all could come with me to taste Rwandan milk, this will be my way of sitting and sharing a glass with you.

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Pre-Return: Only in Michigan

Right now, I’m sitting in a coffee shop in South Pasadena, CA. I’m soaking in the mixed sounds of English conversations, an espresso machine, and indie-elevator music. I dropped $3 on a delicious apple turnover because the closest thing I’ll get to a pastry in the next 6 months is a chapatti (also good, but no apple turnover). I’m sitting in front of a window and have seen at least 10 people in the last hour walk by with a dog on a leash. (yes, I am jealous).

Sitting here makes me feel like it’s a very odd world we live in. Over the course of a week, I will have spent a significant amount of time in Michigan, Los Angeles, Washingon D.C., and Rwanda. I realize that I may currently be an extreme example of globetrotting, but still. In no other time but the most recent years, would this be possible. I’m not sure, if this is a good thing or bad thing. Maybe the reason why no one from my volunteer group suffered from major culture shock after returning from a year in Africa is because of how close Rwanda seems. Sure an American grocery store is a bit ridiculous at times, but when I’m there, I know there is a place I can get to in less than 24 hours where none of these difficult choices (face wash brand, for example) have to be made. Africa may be a world away in some respects, but not in distance. I wonder…if distance is no barrier anymore, maybe everything else is sure to follow. Again, I’m not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing…probably it’s just something to be taken into grave consideration in issues such as travel, international relations, global and local economics, etc. I guess it’s something to think about while I’m plane hopping.

In each of the four places I’ll be in this week, I’ll probably have a coffee, a meal, and people watch. On my way to the airport in MI, I saw a person that made me think: “only in Michigan.” So, I decided that this week, in the course of my people watching, I’m going to find one person that stands out in each location I’m at. I’ll report back. And here’s an invitation for fellow people-watchers: Seen anyone lately who’s the epitome of your location?

2 comments:

  1. Good to see you back online. Praying for you...for Ps. 46:10 assurance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to read what you write. I will be people watching my way through Seattle next week.

    ReplyDelete