An Introduction

The purpose of this blog is to document my time in Rwanda first as a Worldteach volunteer, and now as a college lecturer.
Here in Rwanda, cattle are very important. They are a sign of wealth and prosperity. Accordingly, milk is much appreciated. Two friends might share a glass of milk together like some might share a glass of wine or a cup of coffee. So, while I wish you all could come with me to taste Rwandan milk, this will be my way of sitting and sharing a glass with you.

Monday, February 15, 2010

Midnight Short Calls

The other night I was cozy in my bed, under my mosquito netting, half nodding off and half reading a book. I would have fallen asleep if it weren’t for a very strong need to “make a short call” (this is Rwandese speak), that I was trying to ignore. I looked at the clock. It was 11:30pm and I was exhausted. Oh how I wished that I had a flushing toilet in the next room. Or even just a toilet in the next room. Or even just a toilet. Thinking about going out into the crisp dark night to my cement stall of a bathroom was making it difficult to do the deed. Finally Nature’s call became too strong and I donned a jacket, shoes, and a headlamp and located my keys (there is a padlock on my latrine so that only I can use it.)

Halfway through the 50foot walk to the bathroom building I looked up. It was late enough that the lights from the neighboring housing up the hill were off and there was no noise coming from the school. The night was silent except for a gentle hum of insects and an occasional rustle of foliage from a carefree lizard. It was a clear night, but the smell of the afternoon’s rain still lingered. The dark sky was littered with stars. I immediately spotted my old friend O’Ryan, but could not find the dippers. There are many more stars visible here and picking out recognizable constellations is much more difficult.

I keep my stall pretty clean and smell free and every week or so I’ll go through with a broom and knock down all the daddy-long-leg webs from the corners, but regardless, at night there are always three or four of them crawling around in there. There are also some giant, but harmless wasps that hang out by the latrines during the day. That morning there was a dead one lying on the ground of the latrine, but I hadn’t gotten around to sweeping it out. That night it was still there, but a spider was hoisting it up into a web a few inches off the ground. I realized that a few weeks ago I would absolutely have had a problem with going to the bathroom with a daddy-long-leg preparing a dinner of giant wasp. Now however I just watched with mild interest and a parting bon appétit. Aside from the occasional large ugly spider, I have come to live in a peaceful, mutual disregard with my neighborhood insects. They stay on the walls and I let them live their insect lives. Locking up my latrine I was suddenly overwhelmed with a feeling of contentment. Yes, if I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, I have to walk outside and use a hole in the ground. But I also get to walk outside under a ceiling of stars with the clean, sweet accompaniment of nature going about her business as I go about my business.

In America, we tend to remove as many discomforts as possible and are not okay with sharing a living space with harmless bugs. While I don’t think there is anything essentially wrong with that, I have learned that it is very easy to adjust to life with spiders and lizards and pit toilets. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but there is something very good about being forced to live with these things. If the exchange rate for flushing indoor toilets is star-filled nights and a more content spirit, I am exchanging happily.

4 comments:

  1. Sharing a bathroom with in Mexico was probably a good starting point. :)

    I'm enjoying your blog, Meghan. You're a good writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was Brother Lawrence in his 'Practice of the Presence of God' who found his contentment amid the dirty pots and dishes in the kitchen where he served his monastic brothers. God uses all kinds of places to guide us toward contentment - and now we know it can include pit toilets! We're enjoying the posts as well - thanks for taking time to write. Dave and Lisa Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other night I was getting ready for bed and noticed a bug crawling along my wall. I had seen a spider previously and stopped to watch with interest. Soon the spider pounced, and both creatures went down to the floor. It's interesting how the "sweet accompaniment of nature" really is more at home here in Africa... in the States, I would be trying to get rid of these things. But here, it's simply become the comfortable norm... praying for you with all the transitions!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a marvelous reflection on latrines, stars, and insects! It gives me peace to reflect in such a way. I, too, have found great joy in the minute workings of insects, but I seem to be always living with women who scream and beg me to pulverize them with a tissue. I usally catch and release, because I love spiders.

    ReplyDelete